13 Feb 12 Tips to Getting Organized
Posted at 12:03h
in Organizing Tips
The 12 step program to organizing your life:
- Purge a little bit each day. Ask yourself “Do I need it?” and if not “Do I love it?”
- Avoid keeping things you “might” need.
- Start any organizing project in one corner of a room, desk, other surface or container, then work your way around clockwise.
- Work with small sections at a time to avoid a big mess if you need to stop.
- Your “piles” should include Toss, Donate and Keep.
- Use green trash bags for donations and white for trash to avoid confusion.
- Never purchase organizing products until everything is sorted and purged. You will most likely find you already have containers and furniture you can repurpose.
- Group like items together.
- Label almost everything!
- Put function before beauty. I feel that a system should be in place for some time before investing in decorative containers. I do, however, recommend investing in all one color clothes hangers.
- For every new item coming into your home, discard one existing item to keep clutter from accumulating.
- Two great website resources to cut down on junk mail and sales calls are www.dmachoice.org and www.catalogchoice.org .
Owner/Professional Organizer at The Sensible Organizer
Call me today at 617-347-0487 for your FREE consultation